Friday, July 8, 2011

GARDEN GAZING - 3 FLOWER PHOTO TIPS

Photographing flowers - it's a great way to create some instant artwork.
Have you ever came across an amazing flower, snapped your camera at it and looked at the final image only to be disappointed?  I know I have!  Why didn't my camera's version of this blossom or bud translate into the magazine worthy image I had envisioned when I clicked the shutter?   If you've ever been in this spot too, here are some tips you might enjoy playing with on your next garden gazing adventure.


TIP 1.  PERSPECTIVE: change your point of view from looking down (that's the common way to view a flower!) to looking up or straight on at it instead!  AND if you are using an SLR camera, try setting your camera aperture as open as possible (the smaller the number the wider the aperture).  This creates nice background blur (bokeh).  REMEMBER: Get down low for this majestic shot.


TIP 2. PROXIMITY: You can use a macro lens if you have an SLR but if that's a bit of an expensive plunge to take right now keep in mind that most compact cameras have a macro function (see owners manual) that allows for your lens to be just a few centimeters away from your subject and still focus properly.  Perfect for flower photography!  REMEMBER: get as tight as you can get - fill your viewfinder with an up close and personal peek at your flower.


TIP 3.  BACKLIGHT: place the sun behind the petals.  The petals become translucent.  This adds drama!  REMEMBER: Sandwich the petals of your flower between you and the sun for this glowing shot!


EXAMPLES:  See if you can guess which technique(s) I was using in each of these five shots.  In my next blog post I'll share the answers.
All my best, Cate.

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.


No comments:

Post a Comment